CeaseFirePA is looking for a creative, experienced Communications Manager who can lead and implement a story-driven integrated communications strategy that builds support for gun safety policies and mobilizes Pennsylvanians to act.
From Parkland to Las Vegas to Pittsburgh to Philadelphia, mass shootings destroy the lives and peace of our communities. In Pennsylvania, about 1,600 people are killed every year by gun violence–and with gun sales surging during COVID-19, the danger is growing. The daily toll of gun violence kills people in the streets and in their homes. And when a firearm is present, domestic violence and suicide attempts are more likely to end in death.
Pennsylvanians overwhelmingly support common-sense firearm safety laws, but too few elected officials are willing to support them. The gun lobby–led by the NRA and state gun rights organizations–fights every single attempt to save lives through stronger gun safety laws.
That’s where you come in. Our Communications Manager will work with our Executive Director to develop powerful messaging that drives people to action online and offline. You will create communication strategies and craft compelling written and visual communications that drive forward gun safety policy. The right person for this job:
- Believes amplifying the voices of survivors, medical experts, faith leaders, violence interrupters and everyday Pennsylvanians will drive forward policy change;
- Designs and executes creative, strategic campaigns that use a full suite of communications tools including email (Salsa), text, video social media, and traditional media;
- Takes complex projects that work across our staff from development to implementation
- Finds joy in turning complicated statistics, facts or policy solutions into concise messaging for use in a variety of communications medium;
- Drives towards quantitative and qualitative goals that track increased engagement among our activists, donors, and partners;
- Thrives in a collaborative environment that is focused on crafting better outcomes for our work to address gun violence every day;
- 5+ years experience in digital, communications and campaign roles helping plan, implement and evaluate online and offline communication efforts;
- Superb writing and editing skills able to adjust communication based to appropriate medium such as print, digital or offline organizing (and please let us know if you if you are proficient in other languages);
- Proven ability to produce compelling visual content, including graphics, video, and multimedia;
- Demonstrated skills in utilizing online platforms to create compelling content that will compel people to act or donate;
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment including rapid response campaigns based on breaking news;
- Highly organized individual able to drive multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining quality;
- Experience with analytical tools to evaluate impact of digital communications across platforms;
- Managed vendors or worked with peers to execute strategies a plus;
- Familiarity with WordPress, Canva, Salsa is preferred (other webhosting, design, digital tools and CRMs required);
LOCATION: Philadelphia, Harrisburg or Pittsburgh. The position will be remote during COVID-19. We will consider other locations in Pennsylvania with strong preference for the three listed.
BENEFITS: Salary is $52,000-$62,000 based on ability. As a full-time position, the Communications Manager is eligible for our excellent benefits package including full-covered health care, paid time off, and our 401(k).
HOW TO APPLY: Send your application to Christian Soltysiak at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Communications Manager”. It must include a cover letter, resume and writing sample that is at least 800 words in length. If you have visual communications materials, please provide a sample of those as well. If you have a location preference, include that in the email.
CeaseFirePA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
We value a diverse workforce. CeaseFirePA encourages women, people of color, persons with disabilities, people with records of arrest or conviction, veterans, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals to apply.